That’s right. After August, I’ll no longer be offering done-for-you (DFY) services.
Am I closing my business? Absolutely not. I’m choosing instead to focus on increasing enrolments in my flagship business plan writing program, Business Plan Bootcamp, and adding new features and improvements to the course to make it the best business plan creation course in the world.
I decided to share my reasons for making this change, in the hopes that there’s something valuable you can take from it that will help you with your own business.
I’ve been thinking about this for several months and there are both business and personal reasons for my decision.
First, the business reasons:
- The most helpful and successful business plans are written by the entrepreneurs themselves. Yes, I know exactly how to write a business plan so that your business will get funding. But with a little guidance, so do you. The most helpful and successful business plans are written by the entrepreneurs themselves. My Business Plan Bootcamp is designed to walk you through that process and make it possible for you to do this yourself. And it’s better if you do, because the process of writing the plan – from the research to the strategic development to the financing application – is where you get the most value. Business Plan Bootcamp delivers exactly that.
- Removing a DFY service means I can focus more on the Bootcamp. The students there deserve more of my time and support.
- My “niche” is still too broad. By taking my own advice more seriously and narrowing my target audience to people who want to do the work themselves, I’ll attract more of the audience I really want to work with and that I can serve best. The Bootcamp is perfect for retail, restaurant and health and wellness entrepreneurs who need bank financing for a physical location. I want to be known for that.
Now, the personal reasons:
- I’m stretched too thin. In addition to Renegade Planner I also own a business with my husband, we have Airbnb suites, I teach at a university and I travel a lot. It’s too much and something had to go.
- DFY is my least favorite work right now. It’s not my clients’ fault. I need a break from content creation. I work with many amazing people but my passion for writing isn’t there. It’ll come back probably, but that’s not where I’m at right now.
What happens now?
If you’d like to work with me you have a couple of options.
- I’m still doing business plan coaching until the end of August, so if you’ve been thinking you’d like to work with me, I’m welcoming coaching clients for one-shot coaching sessions from now through the end of August. You can book one here. They are an outstanding bargain at $97 USD and I guarantee I can catapult you into action with your business. Book one!
- The Business Plan Bootcamp is already an effective, thorough and accessible program and it’s only going to get better now that I’m focusing on it more. You can sign up for it here and you’ll get to interact with me inside the program anytime – I answer every discussion question personally. Check that out here – it’s not going anywhere.
So back to you and where you’re at with your business. If something doesn’t quite feel right, or you’re having trouble focusing on the work you do, perhaps it’s time to shake things up so you can better serve your best clients – and yourself.